Balancing work, family & recreation can be a real juggle. Here are some tips that can help make it all work.
Value Your Time
- Keep up with tasks: What you put off now, may be a bigger headache later.
- Simplify. What can you eliminate that requires upkeep?
- Clutter makes it hard to find things you need. Keep your environment as clutter free as possible.
- Prioritize: Ask yourself “How important is this?” or “Is there a better use of my time?”
- Keep a running list of errands and complete them when you are in the area instead of making individual trips.
- Schedule recreation (re-creation) time. Rejuvenation is important to maintain vitality.
- Hire help. Who can you hire to do some simple tasks? Do you know an older student that can run errands, shop, entertain the kids while you cook, etc?
- Buy low maintenance clothes.
Stephen Covey's Time Management Matrix
Effective Family Time
- Have a regular routine throughout the day- even busy families can implement an end of day ritual. Children are more co-operative when they know what to expect.
- Keep a large family calendar in a central location.
- Hold short family meetings each week to discuss activities, schedules etc.
- Involve the children in everyday tasks. Have quality conversation while doing simple tasks together. Studies show that children that feel needed and necessary have higher self esteem.